Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
Chattahoochee Bend has over 30 awesome geocaches created and maintained by some of the best geocachers in the area.
Go to www.geocaching.com and watch the getting started video.
At its simplest level, geocaching requires the following steps:
- Register for a free Basic Membership.
- Visit the "Hide & Seek a Cache" page.
- Enter your postal code and click "search."
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device. Read the cache description and logs from recent finders.
- Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Return to the Geocaching web page and share your experience with other geocachers
- Repeat steps 1-8 for more adventures!
If you would like a little personal assistance, we have a geocacher at the visitors center, so stop by and see us!